Conserving sharks and rays in the global southBangladesh
This project assesses the vulnerability of shark species and sustainability of elasmobranch fishery against contemporary fishing pressures. This information is being integrated into the National Plan of Action for Sharks and rays-Bangladesh as part of the Food and Agriculture Organization’s International Plan of Action for Conservation and Management of Sharks. The research explores the ecological, social, and political challenges and opportunities for implementing a more inclusive management regime for sharks and rays in Bangladesh. It also contributes to developing a unified sustainability model for developing countries that embraces baselines and incorporates socio-ecological perspectives in management decision making.
- Haque, A. B., Cavanagh, R. D., & Spaet, J. L. (2022). Fishers’ tales—Impact of artisanal fisheries on threatened sharks and rays in the Bay of Bengal, Bangladesh. Conservation Science and Practice, e12704.
- Haque, A. B., Cavanagh, R. D., & Seddon, N. (2021). Evaluating artisanal fishing of globally threatened sharks and rays in the Bay of Bengal, Bangladesh. Plos one, 16(9), e0256146.
- Haque, A. B., White, W. T., Cavanah, R. D., Biswas, A. R., & Hossain, N. (2021). New records of elasmobranchs in the Bay of Bengal, Bangladesh: further taxonomic research is essential. Zootaxa, 5027(2), 211-230.
- Haque, A. B., & Spaet, J. L. (2021). Trade in threatened elasmobranchs in the Bay of Bengal, Bangladesh. Fisheries Research, 243, 106059.
- Haque, A. B., Washim, M., D’Costa, N. G., Baroi, A. R., Hossain, N., Nanjiba, R., … & Khan, N. A. (2021). Socio-ecological approach on the fishing and trade of rhino rays (Elasmobranchii: Rhinopristiformes) for their biological conservation in the Bay of Bengal, Bangladesh. Ocean & Coastal Management, 210, 105690.
- Haque, A.B., D’Costa, N.G., Washim, M., Baroi, A.R., Hossain, N., Hafiz, M., Rahman, S. and Biswas, K.F. (2021). Fishing and trade of devil rays (Mobula spp.) in the Bay of Bengal, Bangladesh: Insights from fishers’ knowledge. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems.