Climate Action Network UK “Nature-based Solutions in Action” report released
The new Bond Nature-based Solutions (NbS) report “Nature-based Solutions in Action: Lessons from the Frontline. Harnessing nature to address the triple emergency of poverty, climate change, and biodiversity loss”, from the Climate Action Network UK (CAN-UK) Nature-based Solutions Working Group, launched on 27 July 2021.
The report highlights successful best-practice examples of NbS in different landscapes across the globe, in a collection of stories documenting NbS in action, on the ground. It presents the stories of people that have sought to implement NbS and of the environment and development organisations that have supported them.
The report was developed by members of the CAN-UK Nature-based Solutions Working Group (formerly the Bond Development and Environment Group) and is a follow-up from their ‘Triple Emergency’ report that was released last year. The report includes case studies from Care International, Excellent Development, Farm Africa, IBIS Rice Conservation Co., the International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED), Plan International, Practical Action, Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB), Tree Aid, World Vision UK, and WWF.
The case studies and analysis of success factors are then distilled into seven recommendations:
- Support local communities to champion NbS.
- Include strict safeguards and standards to avoid unintentional negative impacts or greenwashing.
- Shift to a systemic approach addressing the pressures of unsustainable production and consumption.
- Increase long-term funding for NbS, both in quantity and quality.
- Prioritise multi-purpose NbS at landscape scale and with a long-term vision.
- Facilitate multi-stakeholder partnerships to implement NbS.
- Integrate NbS as part of the post-COVID-19 recovery.
By showcasing strong evidence of NbS in action, with adherence to our developed NbS guidelines, we can ground NbS theory in action. The Dasgupta Review on the Economics of Biodiversity highlighted the need for much greater investment in nature in order to deliver sustainable development. This report evidences that effective NbS can provide a framework for that investment.
Read the full report document on the Bond website.