ENACT Partnership on Nature-based Solutions launches on Biodiversity Day at COP27
The COP27 Presidency, in collaboration with IUCN, has launched the Enhancing Nature-based Solutions for an Accelerated Climate Transformation (ENACT) Partnership, to drive collective action on climate change and biodiversity. NbSI participated in the consultation ahead of the ENACT launch.
ENACT will serve as a hub for Party and non-state actors working on NbS to foster collaboration and bring global coherence to activities. The Partnership will provide knowledge and experience sharing, and support for the implementation of NbS activities on the ground. It will bring a collective voice to the global community on NbS to inform evidence-based policies, while driving alignment across climate, land degradation, and biodiversity negotiations.
The Partnership’s aims include to:
- Bring coherence to and strengthen collaboration between existing partnerships and initiatives working on different areas of NbS.
- Amplify and support accelerated implementation of current and new partners’ NbS commitments through documenting, profiling, and promoting promising practices and success stories as well as challenges to be overcome.
- Facilitate NbS policy dialogue to inform negotiations across the Rio Conventions.
- Build a united, collective narrative of the global value and impact of NbS, including through the publication of an annual State of NbS report for the COP Presidencies.
The ENACT partnership will also function as an enabler and accelerator of progress towards multilaterally established global targets, such as the UN Decade on Restoration, the proposed 30×30 target under the CBD Global Biodiversity Framework, and the G20 Global Initiative on Land Degradation under the UNCCD. ENACT will work in close alignment with the implementation of UNEP/EA.5/Res.5 and the upcoming intergovernmental consultations on:
- compilation of examples of best practices in NbS.
- assessment of proposals, criteria standards and guidelines to build a common understanding of NbS.
- identification of financing options for NbS, particularly for developing countries.